A Green Solution for Modern San Diego Landscaping
Artificial turf, often referred to as synthetic grass or fake grass, is gaining popularity as a versatile and eco-friendly alternative to natural grass in San Diego. Whether you’re looking to enhance the aesthetics of your front or backyard, or conserve water, artificial turf has proven to be an excellent choice. SD Premier Outdoor is an expert in artificial turf and can help you evaluate its benefits, installation process, and common concerns to make an informed decision.
Benefits of Artificial Turf
Low Maintenance: One of the primary advantages of artificial turf is its minimal maintenance requirements. Unlike natural grass, it doesn’t need mowing, watering, or fertilizing, saving you time and money.
Cost-Effective: While the initial investment for artificial turf may be higher, it pays off in the long run. With reduced water and maintenance costs, you’ll recover your investment in a few years.
Water Conservation: Artificial turf is an eco-conscious choice, as it eliminates the need for constant watering. This not only conserves precious water but also helps combat drought conditions we experience periodically in San Diego County.
Durability: Artificial turf can withstand heavy foot traffic, making it perfect for children’s play areas and high-activity areas. It maintains its lush appearance even under rigorous use.
Beautiful Landscape: With artificial turf you have lush green grass all the time no matter the season. No brown spots, uneven coloring, or pest infestations that come with real grass.
Artificial Turf vs. Natural Grass
- No watering—water bill decreases
- No Mowing—Enjoy your weekends with family
- No mower or edger needed
- No seeding
- Pet messes easier to clean up
- No Seasonal Die-off
- No muddy areas… has drains
- Water bill will keep rising
- Mowing once a week to week and a half
- Mower/Edger gas, oil, spark plugs, wire
- Seed one to two times per year
- Pet messes burn and hard to pick up
- Seasonal Die-off of grass
- Muddy areas in the rainy season
Environmental Impact: Artificial turf is considered more environmentally friendly due to reduced water usage, elimination of harmful pesticides, and decreased carbon emissions from lawnmowers.
Maintenance Comparison: While natural grass demands regular maintenance, including mowing, weeding, and watering, artificial turf requires only occasional cleaning and brushing.
Aesthetics and Allergies: Artificial turf provides a consistent, lush appearance year-round, free from weeds and brown patches. Additionally, it’s non-toxic and hypoallergenic and won’t trigger grass-related allergies.
Different Types of Artificial Turf
There are various types of artificial turf, each with unique characteristics:
– Nylon Turf: Known for its resilience and ability to bounce back after use, making it suitable for sports fields.
– Polyethylene Turf: Offers a realistic appearance, with a soft texture, making it ideal for residential outdoor living spaces.
– Polypropylene Turf: Highly durable and affordable, commonly used for pet areas and commercial purposes.
The installation of artificial turf involves 10 key steps:
1. Site Preparation: This includes clearing the area of existing grass, vegetation, debris, soil, and ensuring proper drainage.
2. Base Installation: A stable base layer is crucial, typically 3” to 4” Class II road base comprising crushed rock or decomposed granite. This will create a level platform for better drainage.
3. Weed Barrier Installation: This will prevent weeds from growing. Not applicable if we are installing a “PET” install.
4. Turf Installation: The artificial turf is carefully laid and secured using our 5″ or 6″ turf nails or staples for every 6″ along the outside perimeter and every 2′ on the inside areas. Tucking the edges makes for a smooth finish, ensuring a seamless and uniform appearance.
5. Brush up the artificial turf to make the blades stand up vertically.
6. Add infill for better appearance, performance and life span of your synthetic grass. We always install Green antimicrobial Acrylic coated sand. Pet infill will be a 50/50 blend of Pet infill and Green infill.
7. Brush the turf in between infill applications to achieve “freshly mowed grass” looking with a power broom.
8. Rinse the grass of remaining dust and infill.
9. Clean all surrounding areas.
Allow 2-3 days for most installation projects less than 1,000 sq. ft. The speed of installation may be depending on the size and the difficulty levels of the project.
Whatever it takes, we make sure the clients are happy. That’s personal to us. We put everything we have into making your vision come true.
Emily Ayala | Owner San Diego Premier Outdoor
Common Concerns About Artificial Turf
– Heat Retention: Artificial turf can become hot in direct sunlight, but advancements in technology have led to cooler and heat-resistant options.
– Longevity: With proper care, artificial turf can last 15-20 years, making it a durable investment.
– Initial Investment: While the initial cost may be higher than natural grass, the long-term savings make it a wise choice.
Artificial Turf Maintenance Tips
– Cleaning: Regularly remove debris and use a mild detergent for cleaning.
– Brushing: Brush the turf to maintain its upright position and appearance.
– Repairs: Address minor damages promptly to extend the turf’s lifespan.
Artificial turf is a practical and eco-friendly solution for modern residential landscaping. With its numerous benefits, including low maintenance, cost-effectiveness, and water conservation, it has become a popular choice. Whether you’re looking for a pristine lawn or a durable backyard ground cover that can withstand heavy use, artificial turf has you covered.
Take the first step and contact SD Premier Outdoor for an initial appointment to discuss your options for artificial turf installation.